Tuesday 10 December 2019

6 months and counting

It is 6 months to the day that Grizzly (a.k.a. Dick for this tour) and I set off under the channel once more and today I have booked our Eurotunnel crossings. We go out 10th June, come back 10th July. Grizzly will leave Ireland on Monday 8th June and make his usual stop at the Leigh Delamere services on the M4. His outbound and inbound rooms were booked a couple of weeks ago.

Since I booked the hotels in Europe, I've had notifications from Booking.com that two of the Croatian hotels have changed their names. The bookings are OK, so I don't have to chase around finding alternatives, like I did with our stay in Pompey last year.

I've been going through the itinerary recently and checking up on opening times/ticket prices of places I have marked to visit. Quite a few need to be booked in advance, to ensure an English guided tour, so that will be next on my agenda, to actually book them up. Of course, I'm practically a tour guide myself šŸ˜‰ but it's probably better to leave it to the ones with greater local knowledge!

One of the biggest issues with visiting multiple countries, outside of the EU, is the currencies. Of the fourteen countries we shall either be staying in or travelling through, six are outside of the €urozone, so that's potentially five different currencies (one won't require cash) we'll need to carry, six if you include the £ and the €. We had a similar issue when we went to Scandinavia. It's my job to try and work out how much we are likely to spend and thus order the currency in, though I expect with just one day/night in some countries, we might just use the credit cards to make things easier. I always use my CC for fuel anyway but Grizzly does like a cake and coffee at fuels stops.

A few weeks back I received a recall letter from BMW, regarding a potential gearbox fault on the K1600 models. Ginny is in the range of vehicles affected, so I need to book her in to the workshop to have some mods fitted. This shouldn't have any impact on the tour, as I think it may be wise to get it done before the warranty runs out in March, just in case anything else rears its head. Ginny is tucked away for winter now, so there is no chance of me taking her any sooner.

That's all for now I think.

Merry Christmas to you all and Happy New Year.







No comments:

Post a Comment